Thursday, June 17, 2010

EarthTainer: WOW!

A couple of months ago, I came across the website for the "EarthTainer", a DIY container for vegetable gardening. It's fairly straightforward to throw one together, so I thought I'd give it a try. In fact, I built two of them, one just last week. My versions differed in construction slightly from the one on the website, but the principle was the same. The most recently completed one looks like this:


That's got a pepper, a tomato, a cucumber and a luffa gourd vine in it.  It's only been planted about a week now, so it doesn't look like much.  The one I planted about a month or so ago, however, is a different story:
This one has been planted with cucumbers, and so far we've picked about 5lbs of cukes off of it.  It's growing like mad and producing like a real champ.  The simplicity and "ease of use" of this type of container is hard to beat.  It is just the sort of thing that I'd like to deploy as a part of the HS program.  Imagine if, say, a hundred of these were distributed throughout the city...  The amount of produce would, I think it is safe to say, would exceed a ton by the end of the growing season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment